My name is Chris Mullin and I am the faculty advisor for Arcadia’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) chapter. As this highly unusual semester winds down, I wanted to post a wrap-up of our first year.
We started the year off strong with 8 members who registered with the national organization and over 20 students who expressed interest in joining our local chapter. The officer election held at the end of last year gave us our first executive board. Senior, Samantha Glass was President; senior, Jeff Weiss was Vice President; senior, Abbey Benn was Public Relations Director; and freshman, Jaylin Redman was secretary. I am very grateful to this group of students who got us off to a great start! Here are some of our accomplishments from our first year:
- Samantha Glass and I attended the regional conference of PRSSA at Temple University in the Spring 2019 semester. At this conference we were able to network with other advisors and students and begin to lay the groundwork for our chapter. Here is a picture of Samantha at one of the sessions with Action News anchor, Matt O’Donnell.
- The chapter held monthly meetings throughout the 2019-2020 year to discuss membership and plan for future events.
- PR Director, Abbey Benn set up our online presence and created our website which contains links to news, meeting minutes, and other information about public relations.
- In November our chapter held our first event, a resume workshop with Liz Romaine, the Director of Communications at goPuff. We had over 15 students attend and receive expert advice from an industry professional.
- In February, PRSSA and the PR Practicum from the Department of Media and Communications welcomed guest speakers from Brian Communications in Philadelphia. Ryan Wall and Layne Litsinger talked to our students about working in PR and what a typical day at an agency looks like. Here are some pictures from that event:
- In the fall, Samantha Glass and Jeff Weiss attended the Pepperpot awards (the “Oscars” of Public Relations in Philadelphia). In addition, Samantha and Jeff also attended a networking night for Philadelphia PR professionals at WHYY in Philadelphia.
Both of these events allowed them to meet several PR professionals in Philadelphia and they were able to plan a healthcare panel of PR professionals to come to Arcadia in March. Unfortunately, Covid-19 shut down our campus and the event had to be cancelled. We hope to run it as planned next year.
Although our semester was cut short and we were not able to hold our Spring event, I am extremely proud of the officers and students who started the groundwork for PRSSA at Arcadia. We wish the seniors the best of luck in the future! We know you will do great!
Plans are already underway for next year. Because of Covid-19, I have made the decision to appoint our next Chapter President. Alura Neumyer attended every meeting of PRSSA this year and she will serve as our President for the 2020-2021 school year. In addition, Jaylin Redman has agreed to continue on as our Chapter’s Secretary. If you are interested in serving in the role of Vice President or the role of PR Director, please send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). I look forward to our second year as a PRSSA Chapter!
Have a great summer!